Chennai, Apr 20 : The Tamil Nadu Government on Monday announced that status quo would continue in the State and that the lockdown restrictions imposed till May three to prevent spread of the corona virus pandemic would continue in the State.
A decision to this effect was taken at a meeting chaired by Chief Minister Edappadi K Palaniswami and higher officials at the State Secretariat on the basis of the report submitted by the 21-member expert committee formed to suggest the exit strategy in a phased manner from today. An official release here said the government carefully considered the recommendations and suggestions made by the committee and based on its report decided to continue with the restrictions imposed under Sec 144 of CrPc and under the provisions of the Disaster Management Act, 2005 till May three to prevent further spread of the pandemic.
The relaxations already announced by the government for maintaining the essential services would, however, continue. The government would review the corona situation again and in the event of reduction in its spread, would take a decision depending on the prevailing situation and based on the suggestions of the expert committee, the release said. So far the virus has claimed 16 deaths. A total number of 1,477 people have tested positive in the State and 411 patients have been discharged from hospitals after treatment.
The number of positive cases, which showed a declining trend during the last couple of days, shot up to 105 on Sunday, taking the State's tally to 1,477 cases. There were expectations that some relaxations would be announced by the state government following an announcement to this effect by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on April 15, when the second phase of the 19-day lockdown commenced.
The Tamil Nadu Government yesterday said all the restrictions put in place in the State would continue 'till further orders', considering the increase in number of cases testing positive. The Centre in its order on April 15 had announced that the States could decide on allowing functioning of new industries, commercial establishments and other services from today, depending on the situation, and intimate the same to it. In line with this, the AIADMK government, headed by Mr Palaniswami had formed the 21-member expert committee to formulate the exit strategy and based on its report the government said the restrictions would continue till May three. (UNI)