Toddler pulled out dead from borewell in TN
Tamil Nadu

Toddler pulled out dead from borewell in TN

Agency News

Tiruchirapalli, Oct 29 : The gargantuan rescue efforts to save the two-year-old boy trapped in a borewell at Nadukattupatti village in Tiruchirapalli district of Tamil Nadu came to a tragic end on Tuesday, as the rescue team pulled out the dead body of Sujith Wilson after 82-hour-long rescue operation.

Commissioner of Revenue Administration informed the media at 2.30 am early this morning that ‘the boy was dead.’ The rescue teams observed foul smell emanating from the borewell in which the boy was trapped at around 10.30pm on Monday night, following which medical teams assessed the situation and announced that the boy was dead.

The tunnel digging process was stopped immediately. The child’s body was dismembered and in a highly decomposed state, he said. Subsequently, the personnel of National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) and State Disaster Response Force (SDRF) and Tamil Nadu Fire Rescue Services Department extricated the toddler’s body wedged at a depth of about 88-feet at 4.30 am, this morning and sent to the government hospital at Manapparai for post-mortem.

Tamil Nadu Ministers C Vijayabaskar, Vellamandi N Natarajan and R Valarmathi paid their homage to the body at a government hospital. The body was handed over to his family after the post-mortem and taken to Nadukattupatti village.

Sujith Wilson’s fate had captivated the entire country since Friday evening, when he accidentally fell at around 5.40 am into the 600-feet deep unused borewell, belonging to his family and is located in a corn field adjacent to the house.

Initially the boy was stuck at a depth of 26 feet in the borewell. He slipped further to 70 feet and then to 88 ft even as the fire services department attempted to dig a parallel pit to retrieve him.

The preliminary efforts to drill into the earth were hampered by difficult terrain and bad weather. Multiple technical teams from various parts of the State made numerous efforts to pull out the boy, but could not succeed as the boy further slipped into the borewell to a depth of around 88 feet.

Later, special teams from the National Disaster Response Force and State Disaster Response Force, assisted by police, civil authorities, volunteers and locals also made efforts to pull out the boy that went in vain. (UNI)