Two judges of the Madras High Court have agreed to a special sitting on Tuesday to hear a petition relating to the death of the 2-year-old Sujith Wilson who was pulled out dead from an abandoned borewell in Tiruchirappalli district. He was playing near the open borewell on Friday evening when he slipped in.
Scores of rescue workers worked for more than three days to save him, deploying robotic rescue devices and oil rigs to reach the toddler. He was pulled out at 4 am on Tuesday, but he had been dead for quite some time.
The Trichy Collector, Mr. S Sivarasu, told reporters that the borewell would be sealed with concrete. Sujith Wilson is the 12th child to have fallen into an open borewell in the state since 2009. Only four could be rescued; the last one was a 2-year-old girl who fell in a shallow borewell in Nagapattinam’s Puduppalli area.
It was in this context that Mr. V Ponraj, scientific advisor to the former President, Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam, petitioned the high court to seek its intervention to prevent such deaths. Mr. Justice M Sathyanarayanan, the high court’s third most-senior judge and N Seshasayee will hear the petition..
Sujith Wilson’s death prompted the Chief Minister, Mr. E Palaniswami to order district officials across the state to ensure that the rules for sealing abandoned borewells were strictly followed. Strict action should be taken against those who fail to adhere to the rules, he said.