Chennai, Oct 29 : Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Edappadi K Palaniswami and actor Rajinikanth condoled the death of two-year-old Sujith Wilson, whose body was retrieved from an abandoned borewell after a marathon 82 hour long rescue effort that proved futile, at Nadukattupatti near Manapparai in Tiruchirapalli district today.
In a statement here, he said it was unfortunate that despite massive round-the-clock rescue operations that commenced immediately after the boy fell into the unused borewell on Friday evening, Sujith could not be saved. 'I extend my deepest condolences to Sujith’s parents and family members', he added.
Mr Palaniswami also appealed to the people to close all the abandoned pits properly after following all safety procedures to avoid such untoward incidents in future. Noting that the procedures and rules to be followed while digging a borewell had been notified in the Government Gazette long back, he said he had instructed the District Collectors to ensure compliance and take strict action against violators.”
Thanking the Ministers and officials who were involved in the rescue operations round the clock, he said three Ministers--C Vijaya Baskar, Vellamandi Natarajan and S Valarmathi--Dr J Radhakrishnan, Commissioner of Revenue Administration, were deputed to the spot to supervise the rescue operations that commenced soon after the boy fell into the pit.
Rajinikanth also condoled the death of Sujith Wilson.
In a tweet, he said he was deeply pained over the death of Sujith. 'May his soul rest in peace. My deepest condolences to the parents of Sujith'. (UNI)