pennews
www.pennews.net
 Govt considering alternative options to rescue boy trapped in borewell : Minister
Tamil Nadu

Govt considering alternative options to rescue boy trapped in borewell : Minister

Agency News

Tiruchirappalli, Oct 28 : Tamil Nadu Health Minister C.Vijayabaskar on Monday said that the government was considering alternative options to rescue the two-year-old boy who has been trapped in an open borewell at Nadukattupatti village in Tiruchirappalli district.

Talking to newsmen at the site, Vijayabaskar said, “We did not anticipate that the rock in the area, where a massive drilling of a parallel hole to establish a link to the borewell to reach and rescue the boy, Sujith Wilson, would be so hard. Even the high powered rigs made in Italy and Germany have struggled to break through the rock.”
“We have to ensure that the vibrations do not disturb or hurt the child”, he said.
“We have just reached about 40 feet so far and need to dig up to 98 feet. Since the work has not progressed as planned, the rescue team will have to review the process”.
He said discussions were on with the officials of National Disaster Response Force (NDRF), State Disaster Response Force, experts and doctors after consulting with the Chief Minister Edappadi K Palaniswami and Deputy Chief Minister O Paneerselvam.
We are also talking with the parents of the child.

“We have reached a stage where we have to take a decision now and the decision would be taken soon,” he added.

Referring to a query on the health condition of the trapped toddler, the Minister said they could see movement of the child since Saturday morning.
The drilling process that began on Sunday at around 0705 hours was still continuing.
Commissioner of Revenue Administration J.Radhakrishnan, who was also camping at the site, told newsmen that the rescue operations will continue till the boy was extricated from the borewell. The standard operating procedures were being followed in the rescue operation.

Deputy Chief Minister Paneerselvam visited the village on Sunday midnight and enquired about the progress in the rescue operations. He also consoled the parents of the child.

Later, talking to newsmen he said unused open bore wells throughout the State will be closed immediately to prevent recurrence of such incidents in the future.
He said rescue operations commenced within one hour of the incident and the government is taking all efforts to rescue the boy.

Sujith accidentally fell into the borewell hole in a corn field adjacent to his house while playing at 1730 hours on Friday evening.

He was initially trapped at a depth of 26 feet, when the rescue operations were launched by the personnel of Tamil Nadu Fire and Rescue services department with the assistance of police and local people. Later, it was announced that the boy slipped down to 70 feet and again to 88 feet.(UNI)