AIADMK man arrested for illegal banner that killed Subasree
Tamil Nadu

AIADMK man arrested for illegal banner that killed Subasree


The police on Friday arrested former AIADMK councilor Jayagopal in connection with illegal banners put up by him which caused the death of young techie Subasree in a road accident in Chennai on Sept 12.

He was arrested in Krishnagiri after a 15-day manhunt during the police keep track of his movements through mobile signals. He was caught in a relative’s house.

The belated action followed severe strictures passed from time to time by the Madras High Court demanded which demanded why no action had been taken .The judges also said that short of getting down on the road to remove illegal banners, they had done everything and all their orders were being flouted with impunity.

Jayagopal is being brought to Chennai where he will be produced before a local magistrate for remand.

The accident was caused by one of the banners put up in the middle of the road in Pallikaranai falling on her when she was going in a scooter. As a result, Subasree,23, lost her balance and came under the wheel of a truck coming behind.

It caused an outrage because a badly injured Subasree was left lying on the road for nearly an hour or two before a local police man with the help of other locals took her to a nearby hospital where doctors declared she was brought dead.

The hospital is hardly 200 metres from the accident site. No one thought of calling 108 ambulance emergency service.

The golden hour was lost also because the Pallavaram and St Thomas police squabbled over jurisdiction. In a scathing comment, the judges asked what sort of banner culture was this that they are put up even for private functions like a family wedding.

The AIADMK showed no remorse though the banner was put up by Jayagopal to invite Deputy Chief Minister O Panerselvam for a wedding in his family.

While police promptly arrested a migrant Bihar truck driver under IPC 304 A, rash and negligent driving, it took its own time to go after Jayagopal . Even now, the police have registered only a case against Jayagopal and four others under provisions of corporation laws which prohibit erection of banners in public places without prior permission. Maximum punishment will be two years jail.