Two die in country bomb blast near temple
Tamil Nadu

Two die in country bomb blast near temple

S Murari

Two youths have died in a country bomb explosion near an old temple in Thiruporur in Kancheepuram district neighbouring Chennai on Sunday evening. While one died on the spot after the explosion , another died in hospital in the early hours of Monday.

The blast took place in Gangai Amman temple where renovation work has been going on. The device, wrapped in a plastic bag, was found by workers while desilting the temple pond.

Bomb disposal squad rushed to the town on Monday after the recovery of another crude device in the same temple premises. The youth who died on the spot has been identified as Dilip Raghavan and Surya.

Three others , badly injured, are in Chengalpattu and Chennai Rajiv Gandhi Government Hospitals. Reports said they fell victim when they were celebrating the birthday of Dilip by the side of the temple pond.

The blast damaged the compound wall of the temple. It is not clear why the police were not immediately informed especially when the whole Tamil Nadu is under security blanket following reports that six Lashkar-e- Taiba terrorists have intruded and they may target places of worship. They are investigating whether it was a one-off incident as it makes no sense for L-e-T terrorists to target a little known village temple that too with a country bomb.

The tipoff by the central intelligence agencies specifically said the terrorists were disguised as Hindus and they might target places of worship.Meanwhile, security checks continued for the fourth day on Monday in Coimbatore and Nilgiris. They were extended to neighbouring Erode also.

Coimbatore police on Sunday released three suspects who admitted to have had business  dealings with a man arrested in Kochi. Kerala police let off Abdul Khader Raheem (39),a returnee from Bahrain, after he told them that his ID had been stolen and misused.

The Coimbatore police are planning to seek the custody of Raheem as the three suspects picked up by them are believed to have been in touch in the five Sri Lankan Tamil Muslims and a Pakistani national who intruded by sea route into Rameswaram and then disappeared.