A television channel reporter, his wife and mother died in suburban Selayur in Chennai in the early hours of Friday after a refrigerator exploded and triggered a fire in their house.
The dead have been identified as Prasanna(32), a reporter with News J channel, his wife Kanchana, a school teacher, and mother Revathi.
They choked to death as thick smoke engulfed their house. Neighbours alerted the police and the fire service put out the fire and recovered the bodies. Usually overheated air-conditioners are known to explode some time. It is a rare case of fridge catching fire.