The Tamil Nadu Government has transferred to the Directorate of Vigilance and Anti-Corruption the complaint of alleged irregularities in the construction of a new Secretariat complex in Chennai by the Karunanidhi Government during its reign from 2006 to 11,
The decision follows the winding up of the Raghupathi Commission set up by the previous Jayalalitha Government in 2011 to go into the issue.
Retired Madras High Court judge S Raghupathi resigned on Aug 13 after the high court judge M S Subramaniam asked the Government not to waste any more money on the probe when the court had already stayed its work in 2015.
Advocate General Vijaya Narayanan told the high court on Thursday that the Government had transferred all the files relating to the New Secretariat to the DVAC following the suspension of the Raghupathi Commission of enquiry He also said the Government had no plans to set up another probe panel in the place of Justice Raghupathi.
The New Secretariat cum Assembly complex was built in the Omandur Estate in the heart of the city by the last Karunanidhi Government on the ground that the present one in the defence land in the Fort St George and as such it was facing space constraints.
The Jayalalitha Government in 2011 scrapped the project and instead converted the massive complex into a multi-speciality hospital. Jayalalitha also ordered a judicial enquiry into alleged irregularities in the construction of the complex and the role of the then Chief M Karunanidhi, Deputy Chief Minister M K Stalin and Public Works Minister S Durai Murugan and others.
The first enquiry commission headed by retired high court judge S Thangaraj resigned within six months. Thereafter it was entrusted to Justice S Raghupathi. It was halted in its tracks after Karunanidhi challenged it in high court and got a stay.