SC reserves judgement on appeal filed by Sidhu in road rage case
SC reserves judgement on appeal filed by Sidhu in road rage case

SC reserves judgement on appeal filed by Sidhu in road rage case


The Supreme Court on Wednesday reserved its judgement on the appeal filed by former Indian cricketer, and a minister in the Punjab Government, Navjot Singh Sidhu, in a 1988 road rage case.

A two-judge bench of the apex court, headed by Justice Jasti Chelameswar and also comprising Justice Sanjay Kishan Kaul, reserved its judgement after hearing in detail the submissions made by advocate of Sidhu, and from the state government and victim's families.

The top court asked all the parties to file their respective replies within a week. Senior Supreme Court lawyer, RS Cheema, advocate appearing for Sidhu, had narrated the entire road rage case about how the incident happened.

It was not the fault of the accused, Sidhu, due to which the victim, Gurnam Singh, had died. He had died due to cardiac arrest, Cheema submitted to the apex court. "Gurnam Singh died due to his cardiac arrest, and not by Sidhu's beating," Cheema contended before the top court.

Punjab Government had on April 12, sought conviction of Sidhu and also pleaded it to upheld the order of the Punjab and Haryana High Court to cricketer-turned-politician Navjot Singh Sidhu in the road rage case.

Lawyer appearing for the Punjab Government, Sangram Singh Saron, had submitted to the apex court that the statement given by Sidhu denying his involvement in the case was false.

Giving the benefit of doubt, the Sessions Court Judge of Patiala had on September 22, 1999, acquitted Sidhu and his associate, Rupinder Singh Sandhu, due to lack of evidence in the case.

It was challenged by the state and the victim's families before the Punjab and Haryana High Court, which had in 2006, convicted and sentenced Sidhu to three years imprisonment.

Then Sidhu had filed an appeal before the apex court challenging the Punjab and Haryana High Court in 2006.

According to the prosecution, the road rage case involving Sidhu is 20 year old case. The alleged incident took place on December 27, 1988, when Sidhu, in a road rage case, allegedly had hit Gurnam Singh on his head, as a result of which he succumbed to his injuries. (UNI)