New Delhi, Feb 17 : Chinese wrestlers have not been granted visas by the government for the upcoming Asian Championships, beginning Tuesday, due to the Novel Coronavirus outbreak, an official of the national federation said here on Monday.
Secretary of the Wrestling Federation of India (WFI) Vinod Tomar said the 40-strong Chinese contingent, that was supposed to travel to the national capital for the continental tournament, have been denied visas. "The world is grappling with the issue of Coronavirus and so, health of the athletes is the primary concern now. It is understandable why the government has not given visas to them," Mr Tomar said.
Meanwhile, the six-member contingent from Pakistan have got visas for the continental championships in New Delhi. The Indian government has cancelled all e-visas for Chinese nationals, due to the outbreak that has killed more than 1700 people, so far.
Wuhan, the epicentre of the Coronavirus outbreak, has been under a lockdown since January 23 and several countries have evacuated their citizens from that city and other affected areas of China. (UNI)