New Delhi, Jun 28: India pro boxer Neeraj Goyat suffered a huge blow on Wednesday when he had to withdraw from his fight against world champion Amir Khan next month.
Neeraj met with an accident on Tuesday night resulting in severe injuries including a hair line fracture on his left arm that has forced him out of this much-awaited bout in July.
As per medical reports, Neeraj will be out of action for some time now to recover and rehab following the injury. The accident occurred when Neeraj was travelling from Yamuna Nagar to Mohali for a sparring session arranged for him ahead of his fight against Amir Khan.
Neeraj who was looking forward to his fight against Amir said, “I am really upset that this happened and I had to withdraw. I was really looking forward to fight Amir on July 12 and wanted to get back home with the much coveted pearl championship belt."
Undeterred by his injury lay-off, the Indian Pro Boxer vowed to return to the ring much stronger. "I am recovering right now and will be in action pretty soon. I would like to apologise to my fans who had been eagerly waiting for this fight between Amir and me. I promise to return stronger and challenge Amir once again," added Neeraj.
Speaking of the situation, Neeraj's family feels that nothing comes above his health. "Neeraj is a fighter and will be back on his feet in no time" said Neeraj's mother.
It was understood that Neeraj will not recover in time and be fully fit to fight Khan on the scheduled date and promoter Bill Dosanjh of Super Boxing League has moved quickly to secure Khan a new opponent in the World class former two-time World champion Billy Dib.
It was announced on Thursday that Khan would now face Australian Dib. The World Boxing Council (WBC) has sanctioned the organization’s Vacant International Welterweight title to be contested between Amir Khan and Billy Dib on Friday July 12 at the King Abdullah Sports City in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. (UNI)