Kenya avert embarrassing head coach Migne’s resignation
Sports

Kenya avert embarrassing head coach Migne’s resignation

Agency News

Nairobi, Dec 19: Kenya averted a potentially embarrassing resignation of the country's national team head coach, Frenchman Sebastien Migne, after he received his two-month salary arrears on Wednesday.

Migne, who led the east African nation to their first CAF Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) finals for the first time in 15 years, had earlier in the day threatened to quit claiming his three month dues had not been credited in his account.

Football Kenya Federation (FKF) communications director Barry Otieno confirmed his pay for two-months totaling 3.06 million Kenyan shillings (30,000 U.S. dollars) was wired to his account but the Frenchman was still left unsatisfied.

"The coach has a contract with the government. He received his dues for September and October but he is still unhappy since his agreement is to get his payment for a period of three months.

"He wanted to go if the terms of his contract were not met because he feels he is not receiving the support he was promised," Otieno told journalists later Wednesday.

The coach acknowledged receiving the payment but felt the working conditions in Kenya will force him to quit the role he took up in May as the long-term successor of Belgian Paul Put who resigned to take up the coaching position Guinea in February.

He said since his team sealed qualification for the 2019 AFCON finals, enough is not being done to prepare the team for the biannual continental football showpiece with a final Group F qualifier away Ghana due to come in mid March.

"My friend from Ghana was laughing at me this morning with the excitement in the country," Migne said.

Kenya who top the pool on seven points will win the group with a win or a draw at the home of the three-time African champions whom they stunned 1-0 in Nairobi on Sept. 8.

The two nations booked their tickets to the finals at a yet to be determined venue when CAF expelled Sierra Leone from the competition following the international ban slapped on that country by world governing body FIFA.

Since taking over, Migne has led the team to two victories and a draw in the qualifiers as Kenya made the AFCON finals for the first time since Tunisia 2004. (UNI-Xinhua)

pennews
www.pennews.net