Jalandhar, Jun 16: A holy 'bir' of Guru Granth Sahib and palanquin (palki) was burnt completely in a fire, which was caused due to a short circuit inside Gurdwara Gobind Das in Sudan village near Bhogpur in this district.
According to Gurdwara head granthi Bhai Sohan Singh, he had left the gurudwara at about 2100 hrs on Saturday night and came to know about the burning of the bir sahib and the palanquin early this morning, at about 0300 hrs, when devotees started coming to gurdwara for their routine prayers and found the blankets gutted in fire.
It is learnt that after the blankets caught fire, it spread to the side of the palanquin, on which the holy 'bir' was placed. Both the palanquin and the holy 'bir' got burnt before the flames were doused by the devotees.
Bhai Sohan Singh said that other 'birs' were safe.
A police team of Bhogpur police station rushed to the Gurudwara sahib soon after it received information about the incident and started investigations. (UNI)