Gas leak plugged, situation under control: Minister
National

Gas leak plugged, situation under control: Minister

Agency News

Visakhapatnam, May 8 : Andhra Pradesh Minister for Tourism M Srinivasa Rao on Friday said the styrene gas leak, which claimed 11 lives and hundreds fell ill, was plugged in LG Polymers Chemical plant and normalcy will be restored by Saturday.

Talking to the media here, he said that 500 KG of PTBC chemical was brought from Gujarat and the exports plugged the leak of gas. The Minister asked the people not to believe the rumours being spread in the social media that the gas tank might explode. Talking to the media, Commissioner of police R K Meena said that the situation is under control at the LG Polymers.

He asked people not to panic. Local MLA Gunababu inspected the LG Polymers factory in the morning. He said that no gas fumes were leaking out the tank now and no need to panic. Official sources said that over 500 residents of three colonies including RR Venkatapuram, BC Colony and Nandamuru Nagar were shifted to relief camps as a precautionary measure. A door-to-door survey was being conducted in the localities to find out about the victims. As many as 305 victims, including 52 children, were admitted to the KGH, private hospitals and they were treated. Among them, 161 victims are undergoing treatment at various private hospitals and their condition was said to be out of danger.

Minister Alla Kalikrishna Srinivas, K Kannababu and Avaniti Srinivas visited the hospitals and enquired with the doctors about their condition. Meanwhile, Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister Y S Jagan Mohan Reddy reviewed the situation through a video conference from his Tadepalli camp office today. Chief Secretary Nilam Sawhney, Visakhapatnam district Collector V Vijay Chand, Commissioner of police R K Meena and other officials explained to him the situation and preventive steps being implemented.

Ms Nilam Sawhney who is in Visakhapatnam told the Chief Minister that 60 percent of gas leak in the tank was polymerized. She informed Mr Reddy that the rest of the 40 percent leak would be polymerized in a few hours. All other gas tanks in the LG Polymers factory were found safe. The Chief Minister asked the officials to identify industries like LG Polymers in Visakhapatnam which are located in dense residential areas. He asked the officials to consider the feasibility of shifting such factories away from the residential areas. The Chief Minister directed the officials to take steps to disburse Rs.1 crore solatium to the bereaved families. (UNI)

pennews
www.pennews.net