WHO commends 'timely action' by India
National

WHO commends 'timely action' by India

Agency News

The World Health Organisation on Tuesday commended India’s move to extend the national lockdown against COVID-19 until May 3.

The WHO Regional Director for South East Asia, Dr. Poonam Khetarpal Singh, said, The WHO commends India’s timely and tough actions to stop COVID19. It may be early to talk about results in numbers, but a six-week nationwide lockdown to facilitate effective physical distancing, coupled with expansion of core public health measures such as detection, isolation and tracing contact of COVID19 positive people, would go a long way in arresting the virus spread.'

Dr. Khetarpal said despite huge and multiple challenges, India had been demonstrating unwavering commitment in its fight against the pandemic.

'In these testing times, the action lies as much with the communities as with the authorities and the health workforce. It is indeed time for each and everyone to contribute their best and together beat the virus,' she said.

Globally as of April 13, WHO reported 17,76,867 confirmed cases of COVID-19, including 1,11,828 deaths.

Out of the six WHO regions Europe has reported the highest cases worldwide at 9,13,349, followed by 6,10,742 in the Americas; 1,21,710 in the Western Pacific; 1,02,710 in the Eastern Mediterranean; 17,385 in South East Asia and 10,259 in Africa.

Maximum cases worldwide are in the US at 5,24,514, followed by Spain, Italy, Germany, France, the UK and China.

India has 10,363 cases as of Tuesday and 339 deaths. As many as 1,035 people have been cured and sent home.

pennews
www.pennews.net