Wilson murder accused remanded to custody

Wilson murder accused remanded to custody


Abdul Shameem and Toufeeq, two radicalised youths wanted for the murder of Special Sub-inspector Y Wilson at Kanyakumari on Jan 8 and caught by the Karnataka police on Tuesday, was produced before a judicial magistrate in Thakkalai on Thursday.

The magistrate remanded them to judicial custody for 14 days. The two were arrested in Udupi railway station by the Karnataka police on the basis of information provided by gun runner Ijas Pasha who was held earlier in Bengaluru along with his two accomplices Andes Shaheed and Imran Khan. He had told the Karnataka police that he had got four guns from Mumbai and one of them was given to Abdul Shameem and Toufeeq.

Ijas kept one pistol for himself and gave two to Andes Shaheed and Imran Khan.

The Karnataka police handed over Shameem and Toufeeq to the Tamil Nadu police who brought them to Kaliakavilai police station in Kanyakumari to which Wilson was attached, on Wednesday night.

After prolonged interrogation by the Q branch in which Tirunelveli Range DIG Praveen Kumar Abinapu also joined, the two were produced before the Thakkalai judicial magistrate on Thursday afternoon and he remanded them to judicial custody. During the interrogation, the two are believed to have told the police that they killed Wilson to retaliate against the arrest of three of their accomplices in Bengaluru. They said they wanted to target a police officer and Wilson was picked at random.

Wilson was shot dead when he intercepted their vehicle as it entered the Kaliyakkavilai checkpoint from Kerala. Footages from the CCTV at the checkpoint showed the two scaled the wall of a nearby mosque and get out through the rear gate. They fled to Kerala and from there caught a train to Udupi where they were eventually caught.

Police said spent bullets found on the crime scene revealed they were fired from a 9 mm pistol and it was one of the four which Ijas Pasha smuggled from Mumbai .