Dr. Priyanka Reddy murder: 3 cops suspended; accused sent to custody

Dr. Priyanka Reddy murder: 3 cops suspended; accused sent to custody

Agency News

Three police personnel were suspended on Saturday for a delay in registering an FIR in the rape and murder case of a woman doctor in Telangana.

Informing the news, Cyberabad Police Commissioner said: "Based on the findings following an enquiry, the officers were placed under suspension till further orders." The cops who have been suspended are Sub-inspector M Ravi Kumar, and head constables P Venu Gopal Reddy and A Sathyanarayana Goud.

The cops were suspended after a detailed enquiry was conducted on the alleged "dereliction of duty on delaying the registration of FIR relating to a missing woman".

"All the officers of the Cyberabad Police have been once again instructed to register the cases irrespective of jurisdiction whenever a complaint related to cognisable offence is received in the police station," he said.

The accused in the Telangana doctor rape and murder case were on Saturday sent to 14-day judicial custody. A magistrate passed the orders at Shadnagar police station as the accused could not be produced in the fast-track court at Mahabubnagar due to non-availability of the judge and also because of the tense situation outside the police station where a large crowd had gathered.

Dr.Priyanka Reddy was brutally raped and murdered while she was returning home from work a little after 8 pm to pick her vehicle, she noticed a flat tyre. She immediately called her sister, who suggested that she leave her two-wheeler at the toll plaza and take a cab home. Before she could, two men approached her, who offered to take her vehicle for repair.

The woman was allegedly ambushed and dragged into the bushes by the accused barely 50 metres from Tondupally toll plaza behind a line of trucks that was parked near road. Her charred body was found under an underpass today morning.

The woman had called her sister at around 9.45 pm and said that her vehicle’s back tyre was punctured, and that somebody had offered to help her. In a recording of the conversation which was later shared on social media, the woman is heard saying that she was feeling scared because of some truck drivers who were staring at her. The woman's sister advised her to leave the vehicle, come to the toll plaza and return home by a cab. However, when the sister tried to call her back, the mobile was switched off.

The family lodged a missing complaint with the police late on Wednesday night. The police on Thursday morning found her charred body near Shadnagar.