pennews
www.pennews.net
 Kartarpur Sahib Corridor construction will be completed in time: MHA
National

Kartarpur Sahib Corridor construction will be completed in time: MHA

Agency News

New Delhi/Gurdaspur, Sep 16 : The construction work on Kartarpur Corridor on Indian side at Dera Baba Nanak will be completed before the scheduled time, the Home Ministry Additional Secretary Govind Mohan said on Monday.

A Home Ministry team has visited the construction site at Dera Baba Nanak site and reviewed the construction work there on Monday.

"I come here in my capacity as the chairman of the Land Port Authority of India to inspect the work of the Kartarpur corridor on the Indian side of the border. The work would be completed within time," Mr Govind Mohan said.

There are three major construction works at Indian side, the construction of a 3.5 KM long ‘four lane highway’ from Gurdaspur to International Border which is being built by the National Highways Authority of India (NHAI). Out of 3.5 KM stretch, around 70 percent of construction work has been completed and the rest of the 30 percent will be finished before October 31, Mr Mohan further said.

The MHA team also visited and took stock of the progress of construction of the main terminal building for the Sikh pilgrimage and a separate building for the security forces at Indian side.

The state-of-the-art passenger terminal building at Dera Baba Nanak would be completed by October 31 on the Indian side which is being built by Shapoorji &Pallonji Pvt Ltd under the supervision of Land Ports Authority of India (LPAI) of the Home Ministry.

The Passenger Terminal Complex is being built on 15 acres land with a cost of Rs 500 crore. It will have all public amenities to enable smooth passage of approximately 5,000 passengers per day.

All the construction has to be completed well before the commemoration of 550th birth anniversary of Shri Guru Nanak Dev Ji in November 2019, the MHA officials said.

The corridor will connect Darbar Sahib in Kartarpur with Dera Baba Nanak shrine in Gurdaspur district of Punjab and facilitate visa-free movement of Indian pilgrims, who will have to just obtain a permit to visit Kartarpur Sahib,which was established in 1522 by Sikh faith founder Guru Nanak Dev.(UNI)