pennews
www.pennews.net
High alert in Assam after the release of NRC final list
National

High alert in Assam after the release of NRC final list

Agency News

Security was beefed up in Assam and police was put on high alert in view of the publication of the final list of the Assam National Register of Citizens on Friday. The situation is tensed as the final NRC list excluded around 19.06 lakh people. While Assam Finance Minister BJP’s Himanta Biswa Sarma said that more illegal migrants should have been excluded from the final list of National Register of Citizens (NRC), Congress leader Adhir Ranjan Chowdhary said the government failed to properly handle the NRC in Assam.

In Guwahati the prohibitory order was clamped in Dispur, where the secretariat and Assembly complexes are located, besides at Bhangagarh, Basistha, Hatigaon, Sonapur and Khetri police station areas, the police said. Section 144 Cr PC prohibits assembly of more than five persons, agitation, demonstration, procession inciting communal violence, carrying of arms, ammunition, explosive substances or weapon of any nature in any public placers or vehicles as well as use of loud speakers.

A 60-year-old woman from the district of Sonitpur in northern Assam, Sayera Begum, jumped into a well on Saturday after hearing rumors that her name was not on the list. "She was dragged out of the well and taken to the hospital, but she died," said Mukesh Agarwal, a senior Assam police official. Meanwhile, some 218 companies of the central paramilitary forces are on the ground, even as no untoward incident was reported immediately after the final list was out.

The citizens' list of Assam was updated after 68 years, ending four years of work and a four-decade-old demand seeking detection of illegal immigrants. Assam police had earlier appealed to people not to spread rumors for fear of panic after many were accused of being "Bangladeshi infiltrators". NRC Sewa Kendras (NSKs) across the state were flooded on Friday with anxious applicants who wanted to find out whether or not they were included in the final list. Prior to the announcement, Assam Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal had tried to assuage the people stating that those excluded will not be regarded as foreigners and will be given a chance to appeal.