New Delhi, Feb 14: Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh will go to Kashmir on Friday, to take stock of the situation, after a massive IED attack on CRPF convoy at Lethpora in Pulwama district on Jammu-Srinagar highway on Thursday afternoon killed 18 jawans and left over 45 injured.
So far, 40 jawans have been martyred in the attack and over 45 have been severely injured in this attack when an explosive laden vehicle rammed in to CRPF convoy at Lithpura,just 30KM away from Srinagar. The death toll is likely to go up.
Home Minister Rajnath Singh, who is in Lucknow, spoke to CRPF DG KK Bhatnagar and took update of the incident.
Mr Singh, who was scheduled to visit Bihar on Friday, has cancelled his programme in the wake of the attack.
National Security Advisor Ajit Doval also spoke to Jammu and Kashmir Governor Satyapal Mallick and other senior officials in the state security set up.
'There were 70 vehicles in the convoy and one of the vehicles came under attack. The convoy was on its way from Jammu to Srinagar,' said CRPF (Operations) Inspector General Zulfiqar Hassan, adding that the Jammu and Kashmir police have taken over the investigation into the terror attack.
'There were about 2500 personnel in the convoy,' said a source in the Force.
Military outfit Jaish-e-Mohammad has taken the responsibility of this blast. (UNI)