Mah police rejects Navlakha’s charges of arrest without evidence in SC
National

Mah police rejects Navlakha’s charges of arrest without evidence in SC

New Delhi, Dec 4: Maharashtra police on Monday rebutted the charges made by activist Gautam Navlakha in the Supreme Court, alleging that police arrested him without following proper procedure, in connection with the Bhima Koregaon violence.

Navlakha, who was one of the five activists put under house arrest in the case, had moved the apex court, stating that his arrest by Maharashtra police was without sufficient evidence.

In a rejoinder affidavit filed before a Bench led by Chief Justice (CJI) Ranjan Gogoi, the state of Maharashtra said on Monday that Navlakha was 'unnecessarily alleging' that police arrested him without following proper procedure, while he was already on bail granted by the Delhi High Court recently.

The state also questioned the maintainability of the habeas corpus petition filed by the activist before the High Court, which had earlier set aside a transit remand order against him. Counsel for the state said, ''It has become a fashion of the day to make a hue and cry about personal liberty. Every procedure established by the law was followed by the Investigating Officer.''

He submitted that at the time of the arrest in the month of August, Navlakha was informed the grounds of his arrest and he had signed the arrest memo.

The counsel further submitted through the rejoinder that the Investigating Officer had followed the procedure meticulously, while seeking the transit remand and the reasons for seeking a transit remand were clearly put out before the Magistrate, who would have rejected the application, if he was not satisfied with the reasons for the same.(UNI)