TV anchor Ilyasi acquitted

TV anchor Ilyasi acquitted


The Delhi High Court has acquitted former TV anchor and producer Suhaib Ilyasi in his wife's murder.

Mr. Justices S. Muralidhar and Vinod Goel allowed Ilyasi’s appeal challenging his conviction and life imprisonment for killing his wife, Anju, 18 years ago.

'The appeal is allowed,' the bench said.

Ilyasi's daughter Aaliya, who was present at the time of pronouncement of the verdict, said she had always trusted her father.

'I am very very happy. I am not able to express myself much right now. For all this while, we were silent because the judgement was yet to come. We have suffered a lot but I trust my father completely and I had always trusted him,' she said.

The trial court had in 2017 sentenced Ilyasi, who had shot into limelight after hosting the TV crime show; 'India's Most Wanted', to life imprisonment for stabbing his wife to death. The verdict said he had 'committed murder and gave it a colour of suicide'.

The High Court, which had on April 26 granted interim bail to Ilyasi, refused to extend the relief on May 14.

He later moved the Supreme Court which also refused to grant him interim bail.

Ilyasi, in his appeal moved through advocate Mr. Rajiv Mohan, has claimed that the police had not collected any evidence for three months after the incident and there was not enough proof to charge him for the offence.

The police had claimed that he had misled the investigating agency, proving his involvement in the crime.

It had also imposed a fine of Rs. 2 lakh on him and directed that Rs. 10 lakh be paid as compensation to Anju's parents.

Earlier, Ilyasi was charged with milder provisions, including 304 B (dowry death) of the IPC.

However, Anju's mother, Rukma Singh, and sister, Rashmi Singh, had moved the Delhi High Court which in August 2014 ruled that the former TV producer would be tried under Section 302 of the IPC for the offence of murder.

Anju was rushed to a hospital on January 11, 2000 with stab wounds she received at her East Delhi residence. She was declared dead on arrival.

Ilyasi was arrested on March 28, 2000 and charges were framed against him in the case after his sister-in-law and mother-in-law alleged that he used to torture Anju for dowry.