New Delhi, Sep 4: The US President Donald Trump is not likely to visit India by the end of this year.
Sources in the government on Tuesday sought to underline that the '2 Plus 2 Dialogue' between External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj and Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman with their respective counterparts - US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and US Defence Secretary James Matis - "will be the highest level" political interaction between two sides in India "this year".
On August 2, the United States had confirmed that an official invitation has been extended to the US President to be the chief guest at next year's Republic Day celebrations on January 26, 2019. “I know that the invitation has been extended but I don’t believe a final decision has been made," White House Press Secretary Sarah Sanders has said in Washington.
"I do know that both Defence Secretary James Matis and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo will be travelling to India next month and will begin the dialogue and process and potential discussion for a presidential visit later in the year,” she had said.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi had extended an invitation to President Trump to visit India during his trip to Washington last year. (UNI)