Death toll rose to six for eating poisonous mushroom in Meghalaya
Meghalaya

Death toll rose to six for eating poisonous mushroom in Meghalaya

Agency News

Shillong, May 5 : One more person died on Monday after consuming poisonous mushroom at a remote village in Meghalaya’s West Jaintia Hills district bordering Bangladesh taking the death toll to six, health officials said on Tuesday. Three others, including a seven-year-old boy are undergoing treatment in hospitals in Shillong.

On the other hand, Home Minister Lahkmen Rymbui has appealed to the people to be cautious before eating wild mushrooms or wild fruits to prevent such disaster. A total of 18 families from three families at Lamin village under Amlarem Civil Sub-Division on the edge of the India-Bangladesh border became critically ill after they consumed the poisonous mushroom, locally known as ‘Tit Bsein’, which they collected from nearby forest.

“Mariaba Khonglah (14) died at North Eastern Indira Gandhi Regional Institute of Health and Medical Sciences (NEIGRIHMS) on Monday night at around 2330 hours after battling for her life for almost a week,” Lamin village headman, Golden Gashnga told UNI over phone. Mariaba was the sister of Kaldilia Konglah (26), Lapynshai Khonglah (28) Synran Khonglah (16) who have all died after consuming the mushroom since April 23. While Amstrong Khonglah (23), who succumbed on Sunday to the poisonous mushroom, was their cousin brother. Morison Dhar (40) and Kaldilia were the first of the six persons to die for consuming the mushroom on April 26.

Mariaba’s elder sister Wanrika is undergoing treatment at NEIGRIHMS, while Fenisia Khonglah (19), who was discharged from Ialong Civil hospital on Friday, has turned critically ill again and undergoing treatment at Woodland hospital in Shillong along with 7-year-old Dimah Gashnga, son of Dhar. Gashnga said the other nine persons have recovered and have been discharged from the hospital. Although, there have been no health officials to visit Lamin village but health experts said eating wild mushrooms is very harmful for health. “The toxins in the mushroom do not rot even in extreme heat. They affect the liver and kidneys and remain active for at least six days after consumption. Therefore, the chance of death after consuming this toxic mushroom is 99 percent,” a health expert said. Gashnga said that some elders in the village had cautioned the families not to eat the wild mushroom, but they turned a deaf ear. “Had they listened to the elders in the village we would not have such this tragedy where one after another is dying,” Gashnga added. (UNI)

pennews
www.pennews.net