Balabhaskar’s death: Driver Arjun missing, Jishnu off to Himalayas

Balabhaskar’s death: Driver Arjun missing, Jishnu off to Himalayas


The revived probe into the death of violinist Balabhaskar and his daughter, following the arrests in connection with the gold smuggling at Thiruvananthapuram airport, has revealed that the car was speeding at nearly 100 kmph.

Also, the driver of the car, Arjun, has gone missing and is said to be in Assam. Balabhaskar along with wife and daughter was travelling from Thrissur to Thiruvananthapuram in his Innova car. The family is said to have covered 230 km in just 2.37 hours.

The speed camera at Chalakkudy had a picture of the car travelling at 94 kmph and had sent a notice slapping fine. The vehicle reached Thiruvananthapuram at 3.45 am and investigation revealed that Arjun was driving. He had claimed that Balabhaskar was at the wheel at the time of the accident on October 2, 2018.

Based on the investigation, it was found that Arjun was driving the car which was stopped at a shop in Kollam for buying juice. A shopkeeper there was quizzed and the Crime Branch found police had not checked the CCTV visuals earlier, a serious lapse. The hard disk has been sent for possible recovery of the footages.

Crime Branch had information that Balabhaskar and family visited the Vadakkumnathan temple in Thrissur and on the insistence of a woman from Palakkad, they decided not to stay at a hotel there and return to Thiruvananthapuram.

Relatives told Crime Branch that this woman had booked the offerings at the temple and she was found in the hospital after the accident. Balabhaskar, after his temple visit, had rung up his father around 6 pm, saying he would be staying in the hotel and return the next day.

Separately, driver Arjun and Jishnu, son of Poonthottam hospital owner Dr Raveendranath with whom the violinist was close, have gone missing. Arjun, who was to be quizzed today, is said to be in Assam. Arjun was earlier said to be under treatment at his house after the accident.

Crime Branch efforts to record the statement of Jishnu turned futile as he was said to be on a trip to the Himalayas.