500 ‘Hindu’ miscreants sneaked into Sannidhanam: Police

500 ‘Hindu’ miscreants sneaked into Sannidhanam: Police


Thiruvananthapuram: Despite the heavy presence of gun-toting commandos and Rapid Action Force personnel from Nilakkal to Sanndihanam, around 500 people believed to be miscreants ofHindu outfits sneaked in to Sannidhanam through the forest, according to police.

Admitting loopholes in security, DGP Loknath Behera is learnt to have asked officers from CI to ADGP rank to forward suggestions for improving the security arrangements next time.

Among the miscreants, there are also persons who indulged in violence during Thulam pooja. ADGP Anil Kanth reported to the police headquarters that those who unleashed attack at the Sannidhanam were those who had not taken the route via Pamba. This conclusion was arrived at as their faces were not captured by CCTV cameras placed at Pamba.

Police did not expect the ‘Hindu’ miscreants to take the forest route. Now police had started inquiry into how these men took the forest route without the permission of the forest department.

policemen were not deployed inside the forest as special permission was needed. As the darshan was only for a day, the police presumed that the protestors would not take that path.

Those who went for darshan through forest path also insisted on staying back for a day until they were able to perform neyyabhishekam. Police attempt to evacuate these people from devaswom rooms and dormitories also failed.

Separately, police headquarters acknowledged the flaw in security arrangement though it saw this as a trial run for the coming mandalam season. Within six hours after opening of the temple on November 5, Sabarimala reportedly came under direct control of protestors. Several mediapersons and women were heckled by protestors who were extra cautious to ensure that no young woman entered Sannidhanam.

Though 1,300 police personnel were deployed at Sannidhanam, they could do nothing much as protestors and devotees outnumbered them. Even the police had to hand over its microphone to RSS leader Valsan Thilankeri to address the crowd to avoid any untoward incidents.