High speed, broadband remain suspended in Kashmir
Jammu & Kashmir

High speed, broadband remain suspended in Kashmir

Agency News

Srinagar, Jan 31: The high speed mobile internet of all Cellular companies and broadband remained suspended in Kashmir valley since August 5, when the Centre scrapped Article 370 and bifurcated the state into two Union Territories (UTs).

Students, media persons and professionals besides traders continued to suffer though authorities on January 25 restored 2G mobile internet after over 170 days in the valley. However, 2G internet hardly makes any difference as the users could not even check their mails as the speed was very low. However, they said no site, including the white-listed sites, could be opened. 'Since Monday morning, we are receiving messages that following instructions by the administration, internet service in your area has been temporarily suspended,' Airtel customers alleged.

This morning, similar message was received at 0625 hrs by Airtel subscribers which read 'Dear Customer as per government instructions, the internet services have been temporarily stopped in your area.' Fixed line internet service also remained suspended even after authorities announced resumption of the service on January 25. However, the government had announced that only white-listed sites in the UT of Jammu and Kashmir could be approached from January 25.

All social media sites remained suspended, the order said. The government order had listed 300 white websites, including email service, banking website, education related websites, job platforms, entertainment, tour and travel and weather website. White listing of websites shall be continuous process. People, particularly media persons, doctors, students and other professionals continued to suffer as broadband and high speed mobile internet service remained suspended since August 5, when all communication networks were snapped in Jammu and Kashmir and UT Ladakh.

Meanwhile, media persons and other professionals and students alleged that restoration of 2G mobile service has hardly helped them as they cannot have access to any site despite repeated attempts. Media persons continued to file their stories to their respective media organisation from a facilitation centre set up at Information Department here. (UNI)