Air traffic remains suspended at Srinagar airport for 6th day
Jammu & Kashmir

Air traffic remains suspended at Srinagar airport for 6th day

Agency News

Srinagar, Dec 12: Air traffic remained suspended for the sixth day on Thursday at Srinagar International Airport, as there was no improvement in the visibility despite rain on early this morning,

Though there was some improvement in the visibility this morning as compared to past five days, air traffic remained suspended today also at the airport, an official of airport told UNI.

He said air traffic will be resumed only if there is further improvement in the visibility.

Air traffic remained suspended as all the flights were cancelled since Saturday. However, on Friday eleven flights were cancelled in the morning due to poor visibility and later other flights operated in the afternoon.

Many passengers now preferred to travel by road to Jammu after their flights were cancelled. For the past five days, we were going to airport in the morning daily only to return home in the afternoon after being told that flights have been cancelled, said Tariq Ahmad . He said he has now decided to travel by road along with his family today when traffic will ply from Srinagar to Jammu on the highway, the only all weather road connection Kashmir with the rest of the country.

However, the majority of passengers who were scheduled to travel by air from here to different parts of the country and abroad were very disappointed due to cancellation of all flights for the past six days.

Airport official said since the visibility is still not good, we cannot take any risk. However, he said, every effort is being made to resume the air traffic at the airport. There is some possibility of improvement in visibility in the afternoon, he said.

About difficulties being faced by the passengers stranded for the past six days, he said, the matter to operate additional flights will be taken up with all airlines to accommodate passengers who could not travel during the past five days once air traffic resumes.

Passengers said that they are reaching the airport in the morning every day for the past four days only to be told that flights have been cancelled. (UNI)