Strike continues since August 5 in Kashmir
Jammu & Kashmir

Strike continues since August 5 in Kashmir

Agency News

Srinagar, Oct 27 : Strike continued on Sunday since August 5 in Kashmir valley, where people are protesting against the scrapping of Article 370 and 35 A, besides dividing it into two Union Territories.

Additional Central Paramilitary Forces (CPMF), who were rushed to Kashmir valley shortly before withdrawing the special status of the state on August 5, remained deployed to prevent any demonstration. Barring a militant grenade attack in the summer capital, Srinagar, in which six Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) personnel were injured, the situation remained by and large peaceful during the past 24 hours in the valley.

Meanwhile, there was no change in the situation in and around the historic Jamia Masjid, stronghold of chairman of moderate Hurriyat Conference (HC) Mirwaiz Moulvi Omar Farooq in the downtown, which remained shut for devotees since August 5. All the main gates of the worship place are closed for devotees.

The internet service and pre-paid mobile network of all Cellular companies, including Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL), remained suspended since August 5 as a precautionary measure in the valley.

Train service between Baramulla in north Kashmir to Banihal in Jammu region also remained suspended since August 5 for security reasons while students continued to stay away from their classes.

Shops and business establishments remained closed and traffic was off the roads since August 5 in the summer capital, Srinagar and outskirts. However, less number of shops and business establishments were open this morning in some parts of the city as compared to previous days following grenade attack on CRPF on Saturday evening.

Passenger traffic, including the buses of State Road Transport Corporation (SRTC) buses remained off the roads. However, private vehicles besides some inter district cabs and three wheelers were also seen plying on some routes. In the morning, some routes, particularly in the uptown and civil lines, witnessed traffic jams.

Elsewhere in the valley there was no change in the situation as life remained crippled due to spontaneous strike since August 5. Business and other activities remained affected and transport remained off the roads. However, private vehicles and some cabs were seen plying on some routes.(UNI)