Life comes to grinding halt in Kashmir 
Life comes to grinding halt in Kashmir 
Jammu & Kashmir

Kashmir: No major change in situation, strike enters 64th day

Agency News

Srinagar, Oct 7 : There was no major change in the overall situation in the Kashmir valley, where people are protesting against scrapping of Article 370 and 35 A, besides dividing the state into two Union Territories on August 5.

Train, mobile and internet services remained suspended for the past 64 days in the valley. There was no report of any major untoward incident in Kashmir valley during the past 24 hours, officials said, adding that there was also no curfew restriction in any part of the valley on Monday. However, restrictions under Section 144 CrPC, banning assembling of four or more persons, continued as a precautionary measure to maintain law and order.

The historic Jamia Masjid in the Shehar-e-Khas (SeK), stronghold of moderate Hurriyat Conference (HC) Mirwaiz Moulvi Omar Farooq, remained closed for devotees since August 5. All gates of the historic worship place are locked and Central Paramilitary Forces (CPMF) remained deployed in the Jamia Market and outside the Masjid to maintain law and order.

No prayers could be offered in the Masjid, including on Fridays due to restrictions. Shops and business establishments remained closed and traffic was also off the roads. Business and other activities remained suspended in summer capital, Srinagar and its adjoining areas. Public transport, including State Road Transport Corporation (SRTC) buses, also remained off the roads on Monday. But, private vehicles were plying on most of the routes in the city and outskirts while a number of cabs were also seen operating on some district routes in the morning.

However, shops and business establishments continue to function for about three hours from 6am to 9am in the summer capital, including historic Lal Chowk, the nerve centre of the city and other civil lines areas. Later, all shops were closed again for the day. A large number of CPMF were seen deployed in strength in the city to prevent any law and order problem. Security forces remained on high alert to close any road with barbed wire within shortest notice and maintain order.

There was no change in the situation elsewhere in the valley, where life remained paralysed with all shops and business establishments closed and traffic off the roads on Monday.Reports of shut down were also received from south Kashmir districts of Anantnag, Shopian, Pulwama, Awantipora, Tral and Kulgam. Business and other activities remained shut and public transport off the roads. However, private vehicles could be seen plying on some routes, including on Srinagar-Jammu national highway, where additional security forces remained deployed on the highway to prevent any stone pelting.

Shutdown continued for the 64th day in this and other north Kashmir districts and tehsil headquarters, a report from Baramulla said. Large number of CPMF remained deployed to prevent any law and order problem. However, private vehicles and some cabs could be seen plying on the Srinagar-Baramulla highway. Reports of continued strike since August 5 were also received from central Kashmir districts of Budgam and Ganderbal.

The internet and mobile connectivity of all Cellular companies, including Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL) also remained suspended for the past 64 days in the valley. However, landline telephones are working normally. UNI