pennews
www.pennews.net
Attendance thin in Kashmir schools, says Advisor to Governor
Jammu & Kashmir

Attendance thin in Kashmir schools, says Advisor to Governor

Agency News

Srinagar, Sep 23 : Announcing that there will be no mass promotion of students, advisor to Governor Faooq Ahmad Khan has said examinations of high and higher secondary will be held as per yearly schedule of Board of School Education (BOSE) in the Kashmir valley.

Meanwhile, students continued to stay away from their educational institutions in the valley, where life remained crippled due to spontaneous strike against scrapping of Article 370 and 35 A besides division of the state into two Union Territories by the Centre on August 5. However, all private schools in the valley have announced fresh admission for lower classes for the year 2019-20 besides providing study material to their students for preparing for final examinations this year.

Mr Khan said there will be no mass promotion to students who have to appear in the annual examination. Examination will be conducted as per schedule of the BOSE for the 9th, 10 and 12th classes, he said. He said all government schools are open across the Kashmir valley. Teaching and other staff of these schools are attending their duties regularly, he said and admitted that students are staying away because of militant threat.

''We have opened schools and now it is the duty of parents to send their children to school,'' Mr Khan said, adding that there is also a militant threat. The government had ordered closure of all educational institutions, including colleges, universities and engineering colleges in the state on August 5 as a precautionary measure after Article 370 and 35 A were scrapped.

However, later in the last week of August government ordered reopening of primary schools following High and higher secondary in the valley. But, the students stayed away from their classes. Parents were apprehensive due to suspension of communication network, including mobile phones and internet facilities. Parents said that they cannot take risk and send their children to schools since there is no communication to remain in touch with school management in case of any demonstration and stone pelting.

Meanwhile, all private schools, including Sainik School Manasbal, functioning in the valley have announced fresh admission for the year 2019-20. The school management have asked parents to collect forms for fresh admissions.

The private schools have also provided study material to students on pen-drive to prepare for annual examinations.However, parents alleged that assignments are so lengthy and students find it complete.

The students of government schools were not so lucky as no such facility is available in these schools. (UNI)