Life remains crippled amidst shutdown
Jammu & Kashmir

Life remains crippled amidst shutdown

Agency News

Srinagar, Sep 3 : Normal life remained crippled even after a month of scrapping of Article 370 and 35A and bifurcation of the state into two Union Territories by the centre.

Meanwhile, people continued to suffer as the gag on all means of communication -- including landline, internet and mobile phone service -- continued in Kashmir valley, where students continued to stay away despite authorities reopening schools upto class 10th last week.

Official sources said that there were no curbs on the movement of people and traffic movement though restrictions under Section 144 CrPC, prohibiting the assembly of four or more people, continued in some area in the valley to prevent any law and order problem.

They said barring few incidents of stone pelting, including in the uptown Natipora, during which some vehicles were damaged; the situation remained by and large peaceful in the valley.

Life remained crippled since August 5 in the summer capital, Srinagar, as shops and business establishments remained closed and traffic was off the roads though there was no strike call from any organisation. However, in the morning a number of shops and roadside vendors, mostly selling vegetables, fruits and other essentials, do normal business from 0600 till 0900 hrs in most parts of the city, particularly in the uptown, civil lines and outskirts.

Meanwhile, a good number of private vehicles, including two wheelers, were plying on roads in civil lines and some areas in uptown though the number of vehicles was less in downtown Srinagar.

Security forces were seen deployed in strength in the civil lines, including historic Lal Chowk, the nerve centre of the city to prevent any demonstration.

All gates of historic Jamia Masjid, the stronghold of moderate Hurriyat Conference (HC) chairman Mirwaiz Moulvi Omar Farooq, remained closed. Security forces could be seen patrolling in the area and Jamia market to prevent assembly of people in the worship place, where no prayers could be offered after August 5 due to restrictions. Mirwaiz and chairman of hardline HC Syed Ali Shah Geelani remained under house arrest.

All banks and government offices on main roads in the SeK and down town remained closed. Business and other activities remained crippled for the 30th day in other district and tehsil headquarters, including Anantnag, Kulgam, Pulwama, Shopian in south Kashmir and Kupwara, Baramulla, Bandipora, Pattan, Sopore, Handwara and Ajas in north. Reports of shut down were also received from central Kashmir districts of Ganderbal and Budgam.

Mobile and internet service of all Cellular companies, including Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL) remained suspended in the valley since August 5, when landline were also snapped. However, landlines were restored in some areas but remained suspended to subscribers, including media offices in the civil lines, from the main telephone exchange.

Due to restoration of landline service in some areas, people visiting office of the Deputy Commissioner, Srinagar, to make phone call to their relatives outside has come down considerably.(UNI)