Life remains paralysed for 20th day in Kashmir, restrictions eased
Jammu & Kashmir

Life remains paralysed for 20th day in Kashmir, restrictions eased

Agency News

Srinagar, Aug 24 : Life remained crippled for the 20th day on Saturday in Kashmir valley, including this summer capital, since August 5, when Article 370 was revoked. There was no report of any major untoward incident during the night in the valley, where restrictions were re-imposed again on Friday morning, to prevent protests after prayers. The restrictions were eased from most of the areas on Saturday. However, a large number of Central Paramilitary Forces (CPMF), holding automatic weapons and lathis in their hands and wearing bulletproof jackets and headgear, remained deployed on streets, keeping a close vigil.

CPMF have been deployed in strength, to prevent any demonstration. However, road blocks, including barbed wire have been removed, but kept on the roadside to deploy them again, in case of any emergency. Restrictions were eased in some areas in the downtown and Shehar-e-Khas (SeK), after about two weeks on Wednesday. However, restrictions were imposed again in majority areas in the downtown and SeK on Friday morning, to maintain law and order. Meanwhile, all gates of the historic Jamia Masjid remained closed and a large number of security forces and state police personnel remained deployed, to prevent any assembly.

Bullet proof vehicles have been deployed near the main gates and a large number of security forces could be seen deployed in Jamia Market and city outskirts.
Business and other activities have remained crippled in the downtown, SeK and outskirts, since August 5. Residents alleged that they continued to face shortage of essentials. Shops and business establishments remained closed and traffic was off the roads in this summer capital and outskirts, for the 20th day on Saturday.

However, private vehicles, including two-wheelers, could be seen plying in the civil lines, uptown and outskirts. Restrictions were also eased on Saturday in the historic Lal Chowk and Gantaghar, the nerve centre of the summer capital, where all roads were closed on Friday. A large number of security force personnel remained deployed in the entire area, to prevent any assembly of people. Reports of restrictions and shut down were also received from other district and tehsil headquarters, in the Kashmir valley.

However, exact situation in these districts could not be ascertained due to suspension of communication network. Life remained paralysed in this and other north Kashmir districts and tehsil headquarters, with shops and business establishments remaining closed and traffic being off the roads. Security forces and state police personnel remained deployed in strength in apple township of Sopore, Pattan, Palhalan, Bandipora, Ajas and other areas in north Kashmir. Adequate security forces remained deployed on bridges over river Jehlum connecting old town with civil lines to prevent any procession.

Business and other activities remained crippled since August 5 in this and other south Kashmir district and tehsil headquarters, a report from Anantnag said. Large number of security forces remained deployed to maintain peace and order. Reports of strike were also received from central Kashmir districts of Ganderbal and Badgam, where shops and business establishments remained closed and traffic was off the roads. However, private vehicles were seen plying on some routes. UNI