Handwara encounter enters day 3
Jammu & Kashmir

Handwara encounter enters day 3

Agency News

Srinagar, Mar 3 : Security forces resumed Cordon and Search Operation (CASO) with the first light on Sunday against militants in Handwara in the frontier district of Kupwara, where so far two Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) and as many state police personnel besides a civilian were killed.

The operation was going on when the reports last came in, official sources said. Mobile internet in Handwara also remained suspended since Friday morning. Security forces resumed operation against militants at Baba Gund area in Kralgund Handwara in Kupwara district.

They said Para Commandos also joined the search operation against holed up militants on Saturday. Three houses, from where militants were firing, were blasted by the security forces and searches in the debris were going on when the reports last received.

Giving details, police spokesman said based on a credible input about the presence of militants in Baba Gund area of Kralgund in Handwara, a CASO was launched by Police and security forces in the area on Thursday late night. As the searches were going on, the hiding militants fired indiscriminately on the search party on Friday morning. Security forces also retaliated and the exchange continued for several hours before it was presumed that all the militants were killed.

However, when security forces enter the house to recover the bodies, militants still alive resorted to indiscriminate firing with automatic weapons in which about ten security personnel were critically injured.

Later, two police personnel identified as Selection Grade Constable (SgCt) Naseer Ahmad Kholi and SgCt Ghulam Mustafa Barah and two CRPF personnel have been identified as Inspector Pintu and Constable Vinod succumbed . A civilian identified as Waseem Ahmad Mir also sustained bullet injury consequently succumbed at the hospital.

He said the citizens are requested not to venture inside encounter zone since such an area can prove dangerous due to stray explosive materials. People are requested to cooperate with police till the area is completely sanitized and cleared of all the explosive materials if any.