Massive search ops continue in Kupwara, Bandipora woods
Jammu & Kashmir

Massive search ops continue in Kupwara, Bandipora woods

Despite unfavorable weather conditions, security forces on Friday continued massive search operations in the woods in the frontier district of Kupwara, where so far a paratrooper and an unidentified militant were killed since the Cordon and Search Operation (CASO) was launched three days ago.

'Search and Destroy' operation against militant hideout was also going on in Bandipora district. Official sources said that with the first light this morning, security forces resumed search operation in Kandi forest in Kupwara against militants hiding there. However, no fresh contact was established since Thursday when an unidentified militant was killed in the encounter.

On July 11, two soldiers were injured when militants hiding in the forest opened fire on a search party. Later, one of the injured soldiers, identified as paratrooper Mukut Bihari Meena, succumbed while another has been admitted to Drugmulla Army hospital.

Sources told that a massive search operation was going on in the forest despite bad weather as reports said some more militants are still hiding there. Meanwhile, operation 'search and destroy'(S&D) launched by security forces in the woods in the north Kashmir district of Bandipora also continued for the past few days, the sources said.

Troops of Army and other security agencies have launched a joint S&D operation in the vast dense forest in Bandipora following a tip off about the presence of militants and their hideouts early this week. Intelligence reports were received about the presence of militants and their hideout in the forest in Bandipora which they are using during winter when there is snowfall. The operation is to destroy the hideouts so that militants could not use them during the harsh winter, they said. UNI