17 year old boy’s death in Los Angeles baffles Health experts
International

17 year old boy’s death in Los Angeles baffles Health experts

Agency News

After the death of a boy who aged below 18 was reported in the Los Angeles County, Health experts are virtually struggling to come out with a clear answer to many questions.

Officials reported Tuesday that the the first person under the age of 18 had died of coronavirus. They later backtracked, saying more investigation was needed into how the 17-year-old Lancaster resident died.

The family has no health insurance and the boy was refused treatment at an HMO facility, Lancaster's mayor told the Los Angeles Times. The father still hasn't been able to get a test.

The boy’s father, an Uber driver, is suspected of having the virus, but it remains unclear how the boy may have contracted it.

“The juvenile fatality that the Los Angeles County Department Public Health reported earlier today will require further evaluation by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention,” a county statement read. “Though early tests indicated a positive result for COVID-19, the case is complex, and there may be an alternate explanation for this fatality. Patient privacy prevents our offering further details at this time.”

According to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention report released last week, there had been no coronavirus fatalities in the United States of people under 18. The report also said there had been no reported ICU admissions for people under 19.

Of the more than 600 cases in L.A. County, only 10 involve people under 17. One possible reason why babies, toddlers and young children have not been critically threatened is that their immature immune systems may not trigger inflammation severe enough to result in pneumonia, septic shock or organ failure.

pennews
www.pennews.net