Rome, Mar 5: To stymie the coronavirus spread, the Italian authorities have announced the closure of all schools till March 15.
"It wasn't a simple decision for the government, we waited for the opinion of the scientific-technical committee and we decided to suspend teaching activities from tomorrow till March 15," Education Minister Lucia Azzolina said at country's Prime Minister's Office on Wednesday.
At least 109 people have so far lost their lives in Italy while a total of 3089 are infected from the virus. Palazzo Chigi, the official residence of the Prime Minister, announced that public guided tours of the palace are suspended starting March 4 until further notice.
The school closings in China appear to have inspired Rome to expand the shutdown. China’s infection rate fell steadily after Wuhan, the epicentre of the global outbreak, and other cities went into quarantine. The WHO said Tuesday that, in the previous 24 hours, only 129 new cases were reported in China, the lowest number since Jan. 20. On Wednesday, there were only 120 new Chinese cases. UNI