Beijing, Mar 5 : With 31 new deaths on Wednesday, the death toll from the deadly Coronavirus, officially known as COVID-19, rose to 3012 on the Chinese mainland while the overall confirmed cases reached 80,409 by the end of Wednesday, Chinese Health authorities said on Thursday. The authorities further said that they have received reports of 139 new confirmed cases of novel coronavirus infection.
All the deaths were in Hubei Province, according to the National Health Commission. On Wednesday, 2,189 people were discharged from hospital after recovery, while the number of severe cases decreased by 464 to 5,952. Around 52,045 have been discharged after recovery while 25,352 patients are still being treated for the infections.
The commission said that 522 people were still suspected of being infected with the virus. The commission added 32,870 close contacts were still under medical observation. On Wednesday, 6,584 people were discharged from medical observation. Also on Wednesday, two imported cases of novel coronavirus infection were reported on the mainland, all of which were in Zhejiang Province.
The Commission said that by the end of Wednesday, 20 imported cases had been reported, 104 confirmed cases including two deaths had been reported in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (SAR), 10 confirmed cases in the Macao SAR, and 42 in Taiwan, including one death. Forty-three patients in Hong Kong, nine in Macao and 12 in Taiwan had been discharged from hospital after recovery. (UNI)