London, Jan 20 : Prince Harry, the Duke of Sussex, has expressed 'great sadness' over his decision to step down from royal duties, saying that there was "no other option but to step down".
Speaking here at a charity event on Sunday, Prince Harry said, "The UK is my home and a place that I love and this will never change. I and Meghan wanted to continue serving the Queen, but without public funding. Unfortunately, that wasn't possible." Earlier in this month, the couple said they intended "to step back as 'senior' members of the royal family and work to become financially independent".
Addressing the event, he said that it was no easy decision for him and he had "no other option". "The decision that I have made for my wife and I to step back is not one I made lightly," he said. "It was so many months of talks after so many years of challenges and I know I haven't always got it right, but as far as this goes there really was no other option," he added. On Saturday, Buckingham Palace said that the Price Harry and his wife Meghan will no longer use their royal titles. "Prince Harry and his wife Meghan will no longer use their royal titles and will not receive public funds for royal duties," Buckingham Palace said in a statement on Saturday.
"They will not receive public funds for royal duties," it added. "The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have shared their wish to repay Sovereign Grant expenditure for the refurbishment of Frogmore Cottage, which will remain their UK family home," the statement said. (UNI)