Washington, Jan 13: The US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Monday condemned the rocket strikes that hit the Balad air base in Iraq's central province of Salahudin, wounding four Air Force personnel.
“Outraged by reports of another rocket attack on an Iraqi airbase. I pray for speedy recovery of the injured and call on the Government of Iraq to hold those responsible for this attack on the Iraqi people accountable." Mr. Pompeo said in a tweet.
He also called for an end of "violations" on Iraq's sovereignty by groups "not loyal" to the country. "These continued violations of Iraq’s sovereignty by groups not loyal to the Iraqi government must end," he further said. Though State Secretary refrained from making any accusations, but the pro-Iranian militia groups that are active in the region, have repeatedly threatened to target US forces in Iraq.
At least four Iraq Air Force personnel were injured on Sunday when eight Katyusha rockets hit the Balad air base in the country's central province of Salahudin. The airbase previously housed US troops, however, there has been no report of American casualties. (UNI)