pennews
www.pennews.net
London attacker Usman Khan previously convicted for terrorism offences
International

London attacker Usman Khan previously convicted for terrorism offences

Agency News

Police have named the London Bridge attacker as Usman Khan, who was previously jailed for his part in a plot to bomb the city's stock exchange.

British police on Friday shot dead Usman Khan who stabbed two people to death at London Bridge and wounded three more before being wrestled to the ground by bystanders.

“This individual was known to authorities, having been convicted in 2012 for terrorism offenses,” Britain’s top counter-terrorism police officer, Neil Basu, said in a statement. Police said Khan was convicted in 2012 of terrorism offenses and released in December 2018 “on license,” which means he had to meet certain conditions or face recall to prison. Several British media outlets reported that he was wearing an electronic ankle bracelet.

Basu said Khan was attending a London event hosted by Learning Together — a Cambridge University-backed program that works to educate prisoners — when he launched the attack, killing a man and a woman and injuring three others.

The attacker’s history will raise difficult questions for Britain’s government and security services. Neil Basu, the London police counterterrorism head, said police were not actively looking for any other suspects.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson said he had ‘‘long argued’’ that it was a ‘‘mistake to allow serious and violent criminals to come out of prison early.”

In 2012, he was sentenced to indeterminate detention for "public protection" with a minimum jail term of eight years. This sentence would have allowed him to be kept in prison beyond the minimum term. But in 2013 the Court of Appeal quashed the sentence, replacing it with a 16-year-fixed term of which Khan should serve half in prison.