pennews
www.pennews.net
Sugar mills case: Nawaz Sharif sent on 14-day remand
International

Sugar mills case: Nawaz Sharif sent on 14-day remand

Agency News

Islamabad, Oct 11 : Accountability court in Lahore on Friday sent former Pakistan Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif to 14-day physical remand in connection with the Chaudhry Sugar Mills case.

A National Accountability Bureau (NAB) team took the former premier into custody from Kot Lakhpat jail in the morning, where he has been serving a seven-year sentence in the Al Azizia case and presented him before the accountability court in Lahore to secure a 15-day physical remand, a report in Dawn News said.

However, Judge Chaudhry Ameer Muhammad Khan granted 14-day physical remand of Sharif to NAB. The court ordered the NAB to present Nawaz on October 25.

Nawaz has been accused of being a direct beneficiary of CSM and his daughter, Maryam, who was arrested in connection with the case in August along with her cousin Yousuf Abbas, of holding over 12 million shares in the sugar mills. NAB prosecutor Hafiz Asadullah Awan alleged that in 2016, Nawaz had been the largest shareholder in CSM and had retained his shareholding in Chaudhry Sugar Mills as well as in Shamim Sugar Mills, which was denied by former premier's counsel Advocate Amjad Pervez.

Prosecutor Awan said that CSM's bank accounts had received foreign funds, adding that in 1992 one foreign company alone had provided Nawaz with Rs 55.5 million. Advocate Pervez said a Joint Investigation Team (JIT) had already investigated all the issues, after which NAB had filed a reference in Islamabad. There is no justification for another investigation; this is a fake case formed on political grounds, Advocate Pervez claimed.

"Nawaz Sharif is serving his sentence after a trial and his arrest is not as per the law. Nawaz should not be handed over to the agency on physical remand for even an hour," Advocate Pervez argued. In his statement before the court, the former premier said,"The allegations being made against me are fake. NAB is conducting an investigation on declared assets."

Nawaz said that he had requested to meet his lawyer and alleged that he was not permitted to do so. Nawaz said that he had been a minister as well as the prime minister three times and said that if corruption was proven during these time periods he would withdraw not just from the case, but from politics.

"[Former dictator retired Gen Pervez] Musharraf created NAB for me. Musharraf had only one target which was Nawaz Sharif. NAB is only being used against PML-N and the opposition." "I am already in jail, if there is such an enmity [with me] tell me where they want to take me. If they think that PML-N will panic and bow [to pressure], this will never happen," Nawaz claimed. (UNI)