The Iranian President, Mr. Hassan Rouhani, has denounced the presence of foreign forces in the Gulf and said Iran will proffer a peace plan, after arch-foe the United States ordered reinforcements to the tinderbox region.
'Foreign forces can cause problems and insecurity for our people and for our region,' Mr. Rouhani said in a televised speech at an annual military parade. He also said Iran would present a peace plan to the United Nations in the coming days.
'In this sensitive and important historical moment, we announce to our neighbours that we extend the hand of friendship and brotherhood to them,' he said.
Tensions between Iran and the US and its allies have threatened to boil over since May last year when President Donald Trump unilaterally withdrew from a 2015 nuclear deal and later began reimposing sanctions in a campaign of 'maximum pressure'.
The tensions escalated in the wake of the September 14 attacks on Saudi oil installations.