Washington, Sep 16 : The United States on Monday accused Iran for attacking major Saudi oil facilities by citing satellite images and intelligence reports to back its claims.
Iran denies its involvement in Saturday's air attacks, which were later claimed by Iran-aligned Houthi rebels in Yemen. But unnamed US officials speaking to US and international media said that the direction and extent of the attacks cast doubt on Houthi involvement.
The incident has cut global oil supplies by 5 per cent and prices have soared. Earlier on Saturday, Saudi Arabia was forced to shut down two Saudi Aramco's oil facilities, namely Abqaiq and Khurais, after a drone attack claimed by Yemeni Houthis caused massive fires, Sputnik said in a report. The incident led to a cut in oil production totaling 5.7 million barrels per day — about half of Saudi Arabia’s daily oil output.
US President Donald Trump has said that the culprit behind the attacks was identified and the United States was ready to respond as soon as Saudi Arabia names the party responsible for the incident.
Meanwhile a US Republican Senator Lindsey Graham proposed considering an attack on Iran's oil facilities in response to the drone strike on Saudi Arabia's oil industry.