Kabul, Aug 18 : Islamic State on Sunday claimed responsibility for the explosion at a wedding in Kabul that left at least 63 people dead and more than 180 injured.
The group in a statement in Arabic said that the Saturday night's attack was carried out by suicide bomber Abu Asim Al-Pakistani, Khaama news agency reported.
The statement added that the attack targeted a gathering of Mushrikeens, referring the victims as non-believers.
Earlier in the day, Afghan Interior Ministry spokesman Nusrat Rahimi had confirmed that the blast happened at the Shahr-e-Dubai wedding hall in Kabul around 10:40 pm and it was a sucide bombing. He also said that women and children were among the victims.
Afghan President Ashraf Ghani condemned the attack and expressed condolences to the relatives of the victims.
Ghani said he had called an extraordinary security meeting to review and prevent such security lapses.
The Taliban condemned the attack as 'forbidden and unjustifiable' and denied any involvement.(UNI)