Washington, Aug 1 : Day after North Korea confirmed launching of two missiles intended to pressure South Korea and the United States to stop upcoming military drills, White House National Security Adviser John Bolton has said that North Korea’s recent missile tests have not violated Pyongyang’s commitments to US President Donald Trump.
Earlier, North Korea’s state-run news agency confirmed that Pyongyang test-fired a new large-caliber multiple launch guided rocket system under the supervision of the country's leader Kim Jong Un -- intended to pressure South Korea and the United States to stop upcoming military drills, according to Yonhap. "The firing of these missiles don’t violate the pledge that Kim Jong Un made to the president about intercontinental-range ballistic missiles," Bolton said in an interview to local media.
Bolton also said that the Trump administration is still waiting to hear from North Korea about the next steps with respect to denuclearisation talks and meetings between working level groups. Last week, Pyongyang had test-fired two other projectiles that appeared to be short-range missiles. The launches were the first weapon tests by North Korea since a series of missile launches last May.
Last month in June, Kim met with US President Donald Trump at the Korean Demilitarized Zone. The two leaders agreed to re-energize their talks on the denuclearisation of the Korean Peninsula by holding working-level negotiations soon. UNI