Abuja, Jul 29: The death toll of weekend attacks by Boko Haram militants on a funeral in Nigeria's northeastern state of Borno has so far risen to 70, on Monday.
At least 15 more bodies were recovered since Sunday evening, after three villages--Badu Malam Kyariri, Zawa and Lamisula Bukar Bulala, were attacked by Boko Haram gunmen on Saturday, Xinhua reported.
Earlier, the governor of Borno, Babagana Umara Zulum, on Sunday said that 55 villagers died in the initial attack when the Boko Haram militants struck the funeral gathering held at a graveyard in Badu Malam Kyariri village.
Muhammad Bulama, head of the Nganzai local government area, suspected that the Boko Haram militants' onslaught was a reprisal attack.
Bulama said that he thought the attack was in retaliation for the killing of 11 Boko Haram militants two weeks ago by residents when they approached their village.
Boko Haram militants have inhabited the northern states of Nigeria for the past decade. The aim of terror group is to impose a stricter enforcement of Sharia law across Africa's most populous nation, which is split between a majority Muslim north and a mostly Christian south. (UNI)