Tehran, Jul 29: Tehran will continue reducing its commitments under the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), also known as the Iranian nuclear deal, if Iran's demands are not met, Deputy Foreign Minister Seyed Abbas Araghchi said.
"I stress that we will continue to reduce our commitments until Iran’s demands are met," Araghchi said on Sunday.Speaking after a Joint Commission session with the remaining signatories of the deal, Abbas Araghchi said expert meetings were planned to help Iran benefit from the deal following the withdrawal of the US and the re-imposition of sanctions.
He added that the meeting of the joint commission in Vienna was "constructive."
Earlier in the day, the extraordinary meeting of the Joint Commission, where the representatives of the United Kingdom, France, Germany, Russia, China and Iran discussed ways to save the deal, took place in the Austrian capital of Vienna.
“Araghchi said there are still serious problems that need to be resolved. Although he could also say that there was also a lot of commitment to the JCPOA and its survival.
The situation around the accord, which was sealed back in 2015 and considered one of the landmark achievements, escalated in May 2018 when US President Donald Trump withdrew from the deal.A year later, Iran announced that it had partially discontinued its commitments under the deal and gave Europe 60 days to ensure Iran's interests were protected under the agreement. When the deadline expired on July 7, Tehran said that it was prepared to begin enriching uranium beyond the limit of 3.67 per cent set out in the deal. (UNI)