Kabul, Jun 26 : At least eight security personnel were killed and 16 others injured following an alleged Taliban attack on a district center in Herat province in Western Afghanistan on Tuesday night, police said on Wednesday.
The incident took place a few hours after US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo held consultations with Afghan President Ashraf Ghani during an unannounced visit to Kabul on Tuesday to discuss ongoing peace talks with the Taliban and the security situation ahead of Afghan presidential polls in September. "Taliban militants launched coordinated attacks on the center of Golran district of Herat province on Tuesday night, as a result, eight security personnel were killed and 16 others including the district police chief injured," Xinhua quoted provincial police Spokesperson Abdul Ahad Walizada as saying.
However, fighting between the two sides continued until Wednesday morning and the Taliban fighters failed to capture the district center, Walizada added. The official did not provide information on the possible casualties of militants. Taliban militants have not made any comment so far. Meanwhile two US soldiers were also killed in Afghanistan today, the NATO-led support mission in Afghanistan confirmed. "I can confirm that two US soldiers were killed in Afghanistan," a spokeswoman of NATO-led support mission said.
However She did not provide more details about the incident which caused the killings of the soldiers, but the Taliban said in a statement that their militants ambushed US forces in Sayed Abad district of Wardak province, Afghanistan on Tuesday and killed two US soldiers. (UNI)